Friday, March 7, 2014

Little Layers Part 2 . . .


Over the last week I have been playing more with the mylar, and experimenting with the different types of backgrounds that can be used with them. Today I created a few small two colored "paintings"or drawings with paint which is probably more accurate. Wall paper and photos are other options I have explored and will continue to explore, as bases. I am also playing with limited color on the mylar. 

The thing I find most interesting about these little guys is the potential to play with the layers. To move and change them until they feel right.  I have included a few that I feel are complete along with several in process, that I will probably play with more. I have also included several of the same images in different orders/ with different backgrounds. 

I plan to experiment with building some simple frames this weekend and getting back into installation. 


Bases, drawings with paint 









Same drawings different background 





Many different versions all with the same base 










4 comments:

  1. These are great. They're like the materials used in cel animation, which was probably your intent..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small images do look like animation cells, interesting. Have you come up with an answer for your mentor yet, what is your work about, why this medium, and why are you making it? I think your characters and the places they inhabit are mysterious, are they friend or foe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still working on a coherent and articulated response to the questions, but I feel like I am getting closer. As I was talking with my fiancé he brought up my desire to control the uncontrollable in life. I think this is an important key for why I make art.With art I have full and complete control over what I make and how I make it. I also feel as if I am attempting to create an escape for myself, a fantasy world of cartoons where everything makes sense and is in order. But things don't make sense, and this is evident in the fragmentation and distortions in my work. I can never fully create a perfect fantasy world, because there are so many imperfections in life. . . . At least, this is where my thoughts are at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I can see that in your work and you explain the meaning behind the purpose, process and product - well stated.

    ReplyDelete